The evolution of the Tradition
"You need deep roots for a majestic tree crown"
The Selvolinis were the family that carried out all the activities in the village of Volpaia (blacksmith, shoemaker, carpenter, hairdresser…) in particular we owned what was once called “l’appalto” the all purpose shop.
The first document found dates back to 1708 and our family is the only one of the original ones still present in the village of Volpaia today.
Our cellar is located in the most central building of what was once the castle of Volpaia, where in 1400s there was the small Ospedaletto of the Knights of Malta of the order of St. John of Jerusalem, where pilgrims were hosted and cared.
Pic: Lisa Selvolini in her shop in Volpaia
Lina Selvolini’s husband was Sergio Carusi, descended from an ancient family that for several generations were farm managers of Castelvecchi estate where they lived. In 1881 they built La Balza, a complex of three houses, where they cultivated irises, being also traders in Tuscany and Umbria, exporting them as far as France. In the 70s, the land was used as vineyards and olive groves.
Pic: The Carusi family peeling the iris flowers.
Loriana Carusi, daughter of Lina and Sergio, married Marco Anichini. Marco’s family, originally a family of sharecroppers, bought a farmhouse in 1933 with about 50 hectares of land in the municipality of Gaiole in Chianti. They cultivated olive trees, wheat and fodder for about 60 sheep and some cattle, used both to work the land and to parade them at the various animal exhibitions of the time, acquiring numerous awards. They too planted their first vineyard in the early 1970s.
Pic: The oxen of the Anichini family at Le Selve